…And here’s the button answer…

I found this blog page giving me a very clear answer to the button-on-a-cushion problem.






How to improve


So I’ve finished the second cushion and I can truly say that I am rather impressed with how it has turned out.  The colours look great and the sunburst design is clear and strong.  I was tempted to keep it however it in no way fits into the style of our house.  There was compromise on both sides, and so it is not full of crocheted loveliness however we do have cushions on the sofas (that was one compromise).  I did however get to have an old welsh dresser, painted it up and use it as part of my ‘work corner’ along with my Nana’s old oak table.  This is the same Nana whose crochet hooks I now have, so when using them it’s like I am getting to share something with her even now.

So anyway I completed the cushion and the only thing I now want to improve on is the fastening.  I have again used wooden toggle buttons and this works fine, but trying to decide the best position on the cushion cover, and the best stitches to use is going to take a little trial and error.  I’m trying to get a polished look rather than a ‘that’ll do’ look.  So there is going to be a bit of research and experimentation happening now. 20160407_191639

Making a sale

People can get a little tired of being given crocheted ‘bits’.  Just because I like making things, it does not mean that they are to the taste of everyone.  Not every baby born is in need of more blankets (especially any baby that is inheriting its older siblings belongings).  Not every sofa requires a crocheted cushion and not every hat & scarf needs to be made by me.   So what am I to do with things that I make?  I decided to try putting a few pieces on Ebay.   I know that its not going to give the best price but I thought ‘d see what happens.  I made a cushion cover from some acrylic using a simple granny square pattern I worked from a photograph.  Treble crochet on the back and fastened with wooden toggle buttons.   Well it only sold.  I set the start price at £4.00 and after a frantic bidding war it sold for £9.00.  The buyer even asked if I had any more as she loved it.  Well that’s a bit of an ego boost. 20160327_200102

I did ask my partner if he had asked someone to bid on it in order to make me happy.  He responded in the negative, saying that he would never give me false hope as he would end up living in a house full of crocheted cushions that we unsellable.  Clearly these were genuine bids.  My crocheted stuff is genuinely wanted!

‘This time next year Rodney…’





This is the sun burs20160402_220744t cushion I’m working on now.   You never know, it could be a winner.